Bustle in Your Hedgerow

Before there was JRAD… there was Bustle.

Joe & Marco have been playing together forever… but years before JRAD proper, they formed a Led Zeppelin cover band along with Scott and Dave, called Bustle in Your Hedgerow.

They performed at the 2007 Jam on the River (Philly) and infrequently thereafter. ConcertArchives has a list of 13 concerts played by the group.

For Halloween 2013 the group put together a 10th Anniversary show, “Bustle Plays Other Shit” 8/31/13 at Brooklyn Bowl:

In 2014/2015 JRAD became a more important/serious endeavor, and Bustle was bumped to the back burner. However in 2018 they reunited for Suwannee Hulaween as well as a show at Brooklyn Bowl (Brooklyn):

1 Like

I think the first bustle gig was August 29, 2003 for Jake S’s bday party on Rocks Off cruise (sans Dreiwitz). DD heard about them after a couple shows and when he met Joe he offered (wanted) to play with them. DD was in after that.

• i cant recall who was the bass player for the first two shows or so??? maybe it was marcos feet.
1 Like

Yup Dave tells the story in this interview

I met them in 2004—it’s all a funny story. I know Scott because he’s from the same town that Ween is from. I met him when he was in high school working in a health foods store, and I come from a jazz background studying at Rutgers and playing upright bass. So I walk into the health foods store and Scott had his guitar out at work practicing jazz tunes. I go up to him and say, “I just moved here after recently joining Ween. We should get together and play some jazz together.” … Anywho, Scott and I were buddies occasionally playing together, and I started reading about The Benevento/Russo Duo in The New York Times . They hyped up this new, cool project, and their name kept popping up. I had talked to Scott, and he told me that they had put together an instrumental Led Zeppelin band, and if they didn’t have a bass player, Marco would play the basslines with his left hand on the organ. I found this super cool! … Then Ween was playing at Jazz Fest in 2004… We did that show, and Joe had a buddy of his bring him backstage. I said to him, “I’ve been hearing about your band, the Benevento/Russo Duo, and I know you have that instrumental band that plays Led Zeppelin with Scotty.” I told him, “You guys ever want a bass player, I know all that shit!” I guess Joe took that like, “The bass player from Ween wants to play with us,” and all that started something really amazing.

1 Like